Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday deals and recipe

I made a trip to the store today to pick up the "sale items" and the weekly regulars (milk, fresh veg's,etc).
No Frill's had a store coupon for $5.00 off 10 participating products.  I combined it with some coupons I had for the products and got some great deals! Plus I ad matched some things too.
Grands reg. $1.98 each on sale for 98¢ > I paid 33¢ each
Cereal reg. $3.68 each on sale for $1.98 each > I paid  93¢ each
Cake mix reg. $1.48 on sale for 98¢ > I paid 48¢
Frosting reg. $1.99 on sale for $1.48 > I paid 98¢
Smuckers Jam reg. $1.78 each  > I paid 97¢ each (ad match - Fareway)

Pizza Rolls reg. $3.68 each on sale $2.88 > I paid $2.10 each

I also got :
Cat litter 25lb bags reg. $4.98 each > I paid $1.99 each (ad match - Fareway)
Charmin toilet paper reg. $10.63 on sale $5.98 > I paid $4.98
Vidalia onions reg. $1.69 lb > I paid 69¢ lb (ad match - Fareway)
Carrots 2lbs reg. $1.79> I paid 69¢ (ad match - Super Saver)

Total worth $55.58 > I paid $26.14

I had a few other items in the cart too.
My coupon total was $9.25


Today I made granola and granola bars. They are awesome!
A big "Thank you"  to Megan at Daily Essentials and Deals  (she has great step by step pictures).

Recipe

Mix in a bowl:
4 cups quick rolled oats
1 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup flax seed (ground)
1/2 - 3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1-2 cups mini chocolate chips (opt.)

other options (I did not use these)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup almonds

In another bowl mix:
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup water

Then put wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.

Preheat oven to 300* and spray pans with cooking spray.

For this batch I spread 1/2 onto a cookie sheet loosely for cereal
and pressed the other 1/2 of the batch into a 8 1/2 x 11 baking dish (press firmly to make granola bars).
Bake the loose batch until lightly brown on the bottom about 25 minutes. Lightly stir one time halfway through baking.
For the bars in the baking dish leave in a little longer about 35 minutes. Until lightly brown around edges.
Once the bars cool, just cut and store sealed!

Ovens vary so you will want to keep an eye on them to make sure they are not overcooked.


Next time I believe I will add some pecans. This is so yummy I can't wait til breakfast!

Gasp! We picked more tomatoes today (2 plants are now officially dead though). I have enough to put up 3 more quarts of Spaghetti Sauce which I will do after work tomorrow ( at least that is the plan, lol). I am feeling better that my garden has not been a total bust!
I did find that I have 1 pumpkin growing ( out of 12 plants) and 1 acorn squash (out of 6 plants). Ho-hum! LOL. I don't foresee me canning lots of pumpkin this fall as I had hoped.

Back to work tomorrow - Ugh! I actually have to work the whole week. I was enjoying having a day off a week (sometimes 2). (I have next Monday off though he-he ,)  School starts Tuesday Aug. 17.

I timed this just right to finish up before my show -
"The Gates" is about to come on. LOL.
Good Evening!



















2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up today and GREAT seeing you again! Can I borrow some of that jelly you scored? I dropped my plastic container on the floor this morning after making toast and it busted everywhere :( Hehe..
    http://frugalfreegal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh . . . homemade granola. I'm definitely trying that. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete